Netball: Weyonje, KCCA Suspended With Five Minutes To Play

Tuesday, April 4
*Weyonje 35-35 KCCA (suspended)
*Busia Greater Lions 43-54 African Revival University
*NIC 77-31 Busia Greater Lions
*Police 41-39 UPDF
*Posta 40-61 Police

The last game of the day in Netball Super League at Kamokya between sister clubs Weyonje and KCCA didn’t see a normal ending as it was suspended after ugly scenes.

With the KCCA derby tied 35-all and five minutes left to play in the final quarter, Spectators stormed the court joining the Weyonje technical bench in protest of the ‘unfair officiating’ of umpire Ivan Mpoza.

After KCCA leading the three quarter and starting the final quarter with a two-goal cushion, Weyonje through their mid players fought back to level matters at 30 all before taking the lead at 35-33 which KCCA bridged to make it 35 apiece.

When Weyonje won a turnover on KCCA center pass at 35 all, umpire Mpoza whistled a delay call against center player Lillian Achola.

Umpire’s decision didn’t seat well with most of the crowd and Weyonje’s technical bench especially Assistant coach Dickson Lwanga who nearly exchanged blows with the Umpire.

The situation escalated when unhappy supporters who were not contented with some of the umpires’ decisions from the start stormed the court, throwing plastic bottles on court in the presence of UNF president Sarah Babirye who was looking on in the stands.

The umpire was then dragged off the court and the condition cooled after over 40 minutes but the organizing committee decided to suspend the match in justification of both umpires and players safety.

The committee said, by the end of business on Wednesday, the official decision about the fate of the match will be made.

“Now the environment is not safe for umpires and players that’s why we decided to suspend this match,” Denis Mpoza, Manager Netball Super League said.

“As the organizing Committee, we are going to come up with the official decision after looking at how and where the situation started from basing on the report we will receive from officials.

“So we will be able to determine whether we take the result as a draw game or playing the minutes which had remained on the game.”

KCCA who still at the top of the log with 32 points from 16 matches, won the first round fixture 41-37, which was intense as well.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *