Uganda Christian University (UCU) basketball teams have arrived in Instabul (Turkey) ahead of this year’s FISU World Cup 3X3 basketball tournament.
This tournament, due October 27-29, was supposed to be held in Xiamen China but moved to Turkey, and it returns after two years hiatus due to COVID-19.
The UCU Canons (Men) comprise of Fayed Baale, David Dikong Deng, Titus Lual Odeke and David Okello.
The UCU Lady Canons (Women) squad is made up of Agatha Kamwada, Rose Akon, Hajjara Najjuko and Shakira Nanvubya.
UCU teams qualified to these games after winning gold respectively at the 4th Afro-varsity basketball 3×3 challenge in Nairobi, Kenya last year.
The Lady Canons then beat Senegal’s Superior d’Entrepreneurship et de Gestion 20-12 in the final while the Men’s side overcame Uganda’s Ndejje University 21-8.
The Men’s team is in Group B alongside Unlam (Argentina) and ITU (Turkey).
The Ladies have been pitted in Pool B alongside ISEG (Senegal) and LU (New Zealand).
Did You Know?
- The sport is tailor-made for university students.
Each game lasts a maximum of 10 minutes.
- There’s a 12-second shot clock, ensuring teams take risks and attack the rim.
- With teams composed of three players plus one possible substitute, it’s easy to field a team. It´s just players playing as no coaching is allowed during a match.
- For these games, players must be at least 18 and less than 25 years of age on January 1st in the year of the
- Only players that are registered with a confirmed profile on https://play.fiba.3×3.com/ may participate in the event.