It’s a one-two-three-four for Uganda drivers after a wet day one of the ongoing 2022 Shell V-Power Pearl of Africa Rally.
Jas Mangat and his navigator Joseph Kamya in a Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X are on top of the leaderboard and takes a slender 22 seconds lead over NRC leader Ponsiano Lwakataka.
Duncan ‘Kikankane’ Mubiru, driving a Ford Fiesta, also ended Day One on a podium while Mike Mukula Junior is the other Ugandan in Top Four.
Kenya’s Anwar Hamza and Rwanda’s Davite Giancarlo are the best foreign drivers in fifth and sixth respectively.
The first stage, Shekar Mehta, was canceled after a heavy downpour while the day’s last stage had to be removed after it proved too late.
And the Rally started with Stage Two (Kivuvu) where Mangat (0:18:45.91) and Lwakataka (0:18:58.35) were the only two drivers to go through Kivuvu below 19 minutes.
Kikankane was the fastest at Kasaku Chai 1 and the same can be said of Mangat in Nakiwunga 1.
Sunday’s showdown will have four stages – Shekar Mehta 2, Kivuvu 3, Nakiwunga 2 and Kivuvu 4.
Top 10 after Day One:
- Jas Mangat/Joseph Kamya (Mitsubishi Hi Lancer Evo X) – 0:51:22.96
- Ponsiano Lwakataka/Paul Musaazi (Subaru Impreza) – 0:51:51.51
- Duncan Mubiru/Musa Nsubuga (Ford Fiesta) – 0:52:40.35
- Mike Mukula/Edward Kiyingi (Subaru Impreza) – 0:52.40.35
- Anwar Hamza/Din Adnan (Mitsubishi Hi Lancer Evo X) – 0:52:22.71
- Davitte Giancarlo/Vindevogel S (Mitsubishi Hi Lancer Evo X) – 0:54:59.00
- Arthur Blick/Alestair Blick (Mitsubishi Hi Lancer Evo X) – 0:55.21.95
- Gomes Leroy/Gomes (Ford Fiesta) – 0:57.02.60
- Byrone Rugomoka/Hakim Mawanda (Mitsubishi Hi Lancer Evo X) – 0:57:23.62
- Abdul Kateete/Pius Lugya (Subaru Impreza) 0:59:16.38