Police FC powers past Kyetume to move top

Uganda Premier League
Police FC 3-1 Kyetume FC
MTN Omondi Stadium, Lugogo
Friday, 12-02-2020

Police FC moved top of the Uganda Premier League after defeating Kyetume FC 3-1 on Friday afternoon.

Johnson Odong, Muwadda Mawejje and Brain Mulili netted for the Cops on a rainy and wet afternoon at Lugogo.

Baker Buyala struck for the visitors just before half time but his goal would only prove to be a consolation.

The victory takes Police to 13 points, one point ahead of UPDF FC who face Vipers SC on Saturday.

For Kyetume, the remain on nine points from six games.

Cops find their way in the rain

Police are known for playing an expansive attacking brand of football but with a heavy down pour just before the game, one could not help but worry whether they assert assert their style on the day.

After a shaky start, Abdallah Mubiru’s side started growing into the game past the quarter hour mark.

In what was their first-real attempt on goal, Odong scored.

The midfielder-turn-forward collected from Muwadda around the centre circle, raced past two defender before unleashing a left-footed shot past the rooted Joel Mutakubwa which went in off the right-hand post.

Odong would be the catalyst for the second as he made another brilliant run, went past three defenders and then struck straight at Mutakubwa whose fisted save fell for Muwadda to tap home from close range.

Police had a chance to make it 3-0 before halftime but Odong and Mululi lazily combined to enable Mutakubwa collect easily.

After Odong failed to head a delicious Kimera cross into the net, Mululi who was full of running made the points safe with the third on 71 minutes.

The former Masaza striker lashed onto Kimera’s cross to poke home past the stranded Mutakubwa.

He then missed a seater from a Harman Wasswa cross as he failed to connect with the ball while unmarked inside the six-yard box.

Kyetume suffer first loss

Going into match-day six, only five sides were still unbeaten in the division and Kyetume was one of them.

Having won both of their past two games, the Slaughters must have fancied their chances against a Police side that usually concedes a lot and were missing several first-team players.

However, they found themselves 2-0 after 35 minutes and they never looked like a side that could steal anything from the game as Police dominated them.

With three minutes to the break, they got a life-line against the run of play.

Buyala curled in from just outside the box after he was teed up by Feni Ali but that would prove to be just a temporary scare.

They could have netted earlier but Sharif Saka could not bundle home from close range after finding himself alone inside the six-yard box.

Livingstone Mbabazi’s side had chances to score a second in the final period but it would just not be.

Buyala twice saw a goal-bound effort charged down by Henry Katongole.

Deo Isejja fired at the cross bar while Mustafa Mujuzi shot over from just outside the box.

In their next fixtures, Police are at home to BUL FC next Tuesday while Kyetume hosts Vipers SC.

How both teams started

Police FC

Derrick Ochan (Gk), Denis Rukundo, Hassan Muhommud, Henry Katongole, Eric Ssenjobe, Johnson Odong, Ruben Kimera, Muwadda Mawejje, Brian Mulili.

Kyetume FC

Joel Mutakubwa, Henry Orom, Richard Matovu, Musitafa Mujuzi, Joshua Kigozi, Isaac Kirabira, Julius Lule, Moses Ali Feni, Ezra Bida, Baker Buyal, Sharif Saaka.

The other games played on Friday

-Onduparka FC 1-1 Busoga United FC
-Mbarara City FC 0-1 Wakiso Giants FC



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.