Aziz Damani Hurricanes were crowned champions of the inaugural UCA Women’s Elite T20 league on Sunday.
The Hurricanes won three of the five matches they played against Challengers Blizzards at Lugogo Cricket Oval in a two-team series organised by Uganda Cricket Association.
The tourney comes after the Men’s three-team Elite league which was also held on the same venue last month, won by Scorpions, another Aziz Damani franchise.
“I would like to congratulate the Hurricanes and the coaches for the work and dedication,” UCA CEO Martin Ondeko said in his remarks during the awarding ceremony.
“Its been a wonderful tourney in a year where we were destructed by Covid19.”
Just like the men’s, the two teams were housed in a bubble, later, about about nine players missed out after reportedly testing positive for Covid19.
The first game was washed out on December 11 for both sides to share points before the Hurricanes won the afternoon game by 10 wickets.
Hurricanes won the next two games played on December 12 by 8 runs and 8 wickets respectively to clinch the series with a game to spare.
On Sunday, the Challengers got a consolation victory of 13 runs. Sarah Walaza led with 10 runs off 14 balls as the Challengers set 60.
Quick wickets to take out Shakira Sadick (0) and Rachael Ntono (2) set the ground for Challenger’s defence as Aziz Damani Hurricanes who had nothing to lose on the final day, chocked in the chase.
The Hurricanes bank Sh2m in prize money for the victory.
Hurricanes’ Christine Amayo was named the Most Valuable Player, while Maria Nyende Kagoya and the self styled Immaculate Nakisuyi were some of the individual winners.
- Washed Out
- Aziz Damani Hurricanes (40/0) beat Challengers (39/10) by 10 wickets
- Aziz Damani Hurricanes (65/10) beat Challengers (57/6) by 8 runs
- Aziz Damani Hurricanes (54/2) beat Challengers (52/10) by 8 wickets
- Challengers (60/9) beat Aziz Damani Hurricanes by 13 runs
- Best Batsman – Rachael Ntono (Damani Hurricanes)
- Best Fielder – Immaculate Nakisuyi (Damani Hurricanes)
- Best Wicketkeeper – Maria Nyende Kagoya (Damani Hurricanes)
- Best Bowler – Christine Anayo (Damani Hurricanes)
- Player of the Series – Christine Anayo (Damani Hurricanes)