Basketball star and Gazelles team manager Vicky Ntale has named versatile player Peace Proscovia among her five best basketball players ever.
Ntale who recently joined lower division side Duhaga from A1 Challenge, was captain of the Gazelles in 2014 and also played for Amazon Rhino, MUK Sparks and KIU Rangers.
She has played with many stars to this level for a career that began at Kitante School in 2000.
In her best five (read dream team), she has Flavia ‘Flirsh’ Oketcho and Maureen ‘Momo’ Amoding at backcourt. Claire Lamunu and Hope Akello as forwards with Peace Proscovia as the centre.
“This was a tough one,” Ntale said while speaking to The-SportsNation. “Basketball played back in the day was different but change is good and a thing that contributes to the love of the game is exceptional.”
About having Peace on the team, Ntale says that: “When Peace joined Basketball, all she knew was Netball but she grasped basketball in a few months and she represented when we needed her the most. That’s challenging and special especially when we she had to compete amongst people who knew the sport.”
What Ntale Says About Her Dream Team:
- Flavia ‘Flirsh’ Oketcho – But I would still add Olivia Mulwana and Gloria Kyomugisha on this list because I believe we learnt a lot from them and they helped build future point guards we have now.
- Maureen Amoding – I played with her but another versatile shooter would be Ayo (Judith Nansobya) and I would add her on this list. They are these players who will give you results when you least expect it.
- Claire Lamunu – she is so good, but back in the days Franceas Nabulobi was another special player we had. Other lethal weapons we have upcoming is Jane Asinde and Zainah Lokwameri. They are exceptional players.
- Hope Akello – She reminds me of two players; Miriam Hamala and Myself. Post moves were killer those days, credit to coach Nimrod.
- Peace Proscovia – This position has many, we have Sharon Karungi as well, very exceptional.
Quiz – How Well Do You Remember UCU, City Oilers Finals
Did You Know: Peace Proscovia is the captain of the Netball She Cranes. She plays for the Sunshine Coast Lightning in the Australian Super Netball league. She played for Loughborough Lightning team in England.
Peace has repeatedly admitted that she is a better Netball player than a basketball player.
She joined basketball after watching a game at Lugogo between Uganda and Mozambique, inspired by Joy Olinga to join the sport.
She played for Uganda national team (Gazelles) and KCCA Leopards.
A graduate with Bachelors degree in Business Administration at UCU, she also competed in Handball and Athletics for the Mukono based University side during various events.